Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The People In Our Lives


There are so many aspects of our lives that we have no control over. You have a boss you hate. A neighbor you despise, a colleague that grates on your every nerve. Writers have fans that irritate them. Fans have writers that are disrespectful to them. We all have those in our lives we just can't run from, but you don't have to let them be a part of who you are.

You smile at your boss's face and roll your eyes when he turns. You bring your neighbors trash bin to them after they don't bring them in after 3 days, and have rolled onto your lawn. You be kind to the fan who asks you probing questions. You stop buying the books from the author who was disrespectful to you... You see what I'm saying.

Through all these thorns there is a beautiful flower at the top. On those petals sit the people in your life that you give the honor of seeing who you really are. THAT is your control. You don't have to like your boss and he can never hurt you because to hurt you is to know you and you have not given him that gift.

I do not have a lot of people I would call "close friends" in my life. I can probably seat them all in my living room comfortably.  I choose carefully who I allow to see me so vulnerable and accept me when my flaws I lay bare.

You show the world the YOU, you want us to see. You show the chosen few what's beneath the skin. Remember that. Remember you DO have control over who SEES you.


2 comments:

  1. Great post. I took a while but I have been a lot happier since I discovered that it doesn't matter what 'they' think about me. 'They' have no importance or role in my life. The few people who do, take me as I am just as I take them as they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you realized your value and that it's amazing!

      Delete